Montessori Education Week
February 23-March 1, 2014
SCMA will launch a video collection of Montessori programs throughout the state to commenorate the Montessori education practices across the state.
In honor of Montessori Education Week, Governor Haley will visit Coastal Montessori Charter School, South Carolina's 2nd Montessori Charter school but among many Montessori schools and even many among SC public Montessori schools! Montessori programs continue to flourish due to the parental demand for real choice and real individualized education! Governor's Proclamation (pdf)
The concept of Montessori Education Week was born in the late 80's as, then owner's of the Montessori Child Enrichment Center, Peter and Rosann Larrow wanted to get the word out about Montessori Education. In the late 90's, the Larrows worked with the International Association for Montessori Education to take the idea to the national and international levels, designating the last week in February as the official week to recognize Montessori education. The Larrows continue to maintain a website full of ideas and information at http://www.montessori-opportunities.com/montessori_education_week. The formal recognition by State Governor's Proclamations began in 2007 allowing the idea to truly reach all schools. South Carolina was one of the states to immediately get on board with the idea of commemorating the important movement afoot across the world coined as the Montessori Movement.
Here in South Carolina, the South Carolina Montessori Alliance files for the Governors' Proclamation, announces Montessori Education Week events, and provides information on how your school can participate. Send us your school's events and we will announce them prior to the event or post them on our site after the event at Secretary@scmontessori.org. Your submission can be text, video or picture. We are so grateful for continued support of Montessori Education Week by Governor Nikki Haley.
Optional Ideas for Participation
At the School Level
- Participate in one of the South Carolina Montessori Alliance's supported charities of Ronald McDonald House and Wells of Love and Hope.
- Host a Video Talk event showing Education 2.0 by Dr. Steven Hughes or other speakers widely available on the Internet.
- Create an exhibit at your school about your school's history.
- Create a photomontage about Montessori education in your area.
- Hold a luncheon in honor of Dr. Montessori.
- Celebrate the business sponsorships of your community and their contribution to education as a result of support.
- Have the children write testimonials.
- Have the parents and/ or staff write testimonials.
- Send a press release to the local news and radio regarding your efforts.
- Create a People of Peace wall in your school, having each class choose a person of peace.
- Start each day with a YouTube short video about Montessori Education
At the City Level
- Create an exhibit at the local museum
- Offer an open house for VIP's in your area.
- Send a press release to local media
(see a media kit http://www.montessori-opportunities.com/press_releases)
- Conduct food drive
- Make a theme each day (such as Police Day) inviting a different civil servant each day.
At the State Level
- Invite local legislators and leaders to events
- Organize a speaking event
- Organize a group to visit the legislators in session
The SCMA Board welcomes your input into how the state organizes the events surrounding this very important recognition of Montessori Education. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for suggestions and questions.
SCMA welcomes your creative ideas.